Re: Sprite boot emblem

To: Spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Sprite boot emblem
From: type79@ix.netcom.com
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2007 17:10:55 -0500 (EST)
Assuming for the moment that this is the emblem that came in that box, the fact
that this is a later box and not one produced when the cars were in production,
does not give any support to any arguement that these cars were delivered with
anything but gold emblems.

The real test is to verify this in the period factory parts manuals.

I have never seen an original unrestored Sprite Mk I with anything but a gold
emblem. I don't believe the factory ever mounted a chrome emblem on a
Bugeye/Frogeye. Whether they were available as a period option by aftermarket
suppliers or even the factory after production ceased is another discussion and
one that never carried much interest for me. My interest in originality is how
the cars left the factory and what factory parts were made available and
offered by the factory at the time of manufacture.

We can also discuss Speedwell, Sprinzel, and other period tuning firms but that
is also a separate discussion and is not related to what was authentic to
factory original cars.

And I will close by saying that I'm not pushing originality on anyone, but if
we are going to make claims what was attached to the cars as they rolled down
the production line, we need to be able to back up what we say.

jay fishbein
wallingford, ct
home.ix.netcom.com/~type79/