Re: Plasma Cutters

To: Linda Grunthaner <grunthaner@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Plasma Cutters
From: John Caffrey <jdc6@Lehigh.EDU>
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2007 09:44:05 -0400
Linda Grunthaner wrote:
>  Thanks Jim,
> Good suggestions I'll check on the components. BTW what do you think of this
> Plasma Cutter/TIG/Stick welder combo on eBay 120095614996. I guess this is a
> Plasma cutter with tig welder and arc welder does that sound right? Also
> what kind of gas would this use? And what do you mean by inverted tig? Thanks
> Linda

Hi Lin,
Welding power supplies are either heavy transformer machines, or the
newer inverter technology, which is all electronic and comes in much
smaller and portable package. Three years ago I made the choice to stay
with a transformer and bought a Lincoln Square wave TIG welder, but was
quite impressed with some of the features included on the higher end
inverters. You have to buy good welding equipment, and it's even more
important when you're learning to weld. Don't buy that POS on ebay, you
can't do good TIG welding with that machine, you won't be able to weld
aluminum, and you will regret it. This machine doesn't have high
frequency starting, or AC power, no timer for shielding gas flow, and no
remote amperage adjustment (foot pedal), which are some of the basic
things you need. If your budget is limited, my recommendation is to buy
a used welder made by one of the major companies, Lincoln, Miller, or
Hobart. For around a grand you could have a slightly used Lincoln with
all of the features listed above, plus adjustable pulse welding and wave
balancing. I'd never seen a combination machine like that with a plasma
cutter built in, and spent a bit more to buy a Hypertherm plasma
cutter.No matter which machines you choose, TIG machines need argon gas,
and these days plasma cutters use dry compressed air.
John
Fogelsville, PA