Re: We tight engine rebuilding

To: derf <derf247@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: We tight engine rebuilding
From: Robert Weeks <lists@woozy.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2007 12:31:28 -0400
derf wrote:
> Cheapest thing would be to install and test #3.  If it works, then you
> don't have to spend much.
Here's what I remember about engine #3 - When I got it it had burned
valves. Back then I didn't do the work on my own cars and I brought it
to a mechanic to have a new head put on it. The mechanic didn't put the
oil filter parts back in the canister and after driving it like that for
a while I ended up with low oil pressure. That was about 10 years ago.
That got me working on the car myself. I figured why pay someone to
destroy the car when I could do that myself for just the cost of parts.

I put in new crankshaft bearings to get the oil pressure back up so I
could drive the car (it was my daily driver back then) and then started
rebuilding engine #2 which I got out of a parts car. Engine #2 ran
pretty good for probably 4 - 5 years until I had a kid, bought a pickup
truck and parked the car for 5 years. When I pulled the car out this
last winter the engine still ran strong but I noticed that it smoked and
leaked more than I remembered. I figured that the seals probably dried
up in the 5 years of sitting. The smoking isn't constant but I haven't
been able to identify anything that would cause it to smoke some times
and not others.

Engine #3 has had to be sitting for at least 8 years now. I'm pretty
sure that there are some mice that are calling it home these days.

Thanks,

Robert