Re: Air/fuel ratio monitors

To: "Deikis, John G" <John.Deikis@va.gov>
Subject: Re: Air/fuel ratio monitors
From: derf <derf247@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2007 09:45:10 -0600
EGT is a good tool, too.  But, I would consider the step to EGT after the WBO2.
WBO2 will tell you what you want to know about your tuning.
Let's not forget about timing, too.  A/F ratios are part of the tuning
picture.
I recommend the Innovate LM-1.  You can add an RPM monitor to it.  It
also has logging capability.  Plug a computer in and you can read logs
after the fact.  You can tune to your driving habits.  If the log
shows leaning out briefly under hard acceleration, you can adjust
dashpot spring and or fluid.  If you are rich in certain RPM bands you
can change needles (SU) or jets or correctors or whatever (Weber,
etc.)
I think in many ways WBO2 data logging is superior to dyno tuning.
Dynos are great tools but I think it is better to be able to tune the
motor to actual driving conditions.
Cheers,
Derf