Re: Alternator set up

To: Jacques Le Clainche <hobbycars@cox.net>
Subject: Re: Alternator set up
From: Frank Clarici <spritenut@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2007 21:00:46 -0400
Jacques Le Clainche wrote:

> Hi... I am thinking of modifiying my Lotus Seven charging system from the
> original dynamo to an alternator. I remember some of you may be running
> small japanese alternators on your Spridgets. What are you using?

The Ford Festiva alternators are small, so are some Hondas.
Both jap alts. The wiring is simple, connect all the thick wires
together at the regulator, run the genny field wire from the alt to the
ignition light.
Not sure about the bolt on orientation on a Lotus but if it's like a
Spridget, 180* apart, make sure the alternator has the same mounting
config of 180* ears.  Junk yard alts are about $40 here, I look for the
cars with new looking rebuilt alts. Of the 2 dozen or so I have bought
from the junk yard, only 1 has been bad.

--
Frank Clarici
Toms River, NJ