RE: Thank you

To: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Thank you
From: "Deikis, John G" <John.Deikis@va.gov>
Date: Thu, 10 May 2007 16:35:35 -0400
This reminds me of the colonoscopy thread of a couple of years ago.

To set the record straight, you can't have a "disorder" without having a
"syndrome."  A syndrome is a constellation of complaints, symptoms,
findings, etc. that may or may not be associated with one or more
diagnoses.  "Agent orange syndrome" does not define a recognized
diagnostic condition, but it is certainly a "disorder" or health problem
for some. "Carpal tunnel syndrome" on the other hand does describe a
diagnosable condition. In the case of PTSD, a room full of bulging
foreheads got together and decided if you have 8 or more of 20-something
symptoms, you fit the diagnostic criteria.  But what if you have only 7
symptoms?  Then technically you don't have "post-traumatic stress
disorder" but you might still be described as having a "post-traumatic
stress syndrome."

I know why they are paying you "the big bucks."  The invisible
casualties of war are often the least recognized or acknowledged.  If
you're a combat vet, thank you for putting your balls on the line for
us. Pray for peace.

JohnD