Diagnostic needed LGC- not LBC

To: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Diagnostic needed LGC- not LBC
From: "Deikis, John G" <John.Deikis@va.gov>
Date: Mon, 14 May 2007 09:39:08 -0400
Well, it's not for a Spridget, but it's automotive and it's old  enough
to be simple and interesting.

If you are a reasonable diagnostician, maybe you can win the prize
before I call Click & Clack.

This concerns my beater '63 VW beetle.

Driving along, the following things happen simultaneously:

1.      a slight buck (as if you quickly switched the ignition on and
off).
2.      during the buck, the generator light blinks on.
3.      if I have the lights on, the lights, including dash lights,
blink off.
4.      it is momentary, does not appear heat related, has been getting
worse, and now makes the car pretty much of a worry to drive anywhere.
5.      every once in awhile, instead of just bucking (momentary loss of
all power), it just goes dead.  When the car rolls to the side of the
road, I notice that there is no GEN or OIL light lit-as though the
ignition has been switched off. Flipping the key on and off eventually
gives me normal "ignition on" warning lights and start-up.  This can be
anywhere from right away to 3-4 minutes later.
6.      wiggling the ignition key and switch do not seem to make a
difference (I think if it were a bad ignition switch, I would not
experience the momentary blinking of the headlights and dash lights).

I'm thinking a bad ground, but where?  How about a bad battery?  Loose
plate inside or something.  Terminals are tight and clean.

Your thoughts?    --JohnD