Re: [Spridgets] engine questions...

To: spridgets@autox.team.net, Frank <spritenut@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] engine questions...
From: Jim Johnson <bmwwxman@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 7 Jul 2009 00:20:14 -0500
Hmmmm....    My 68 Midget with a 1275 and 3.9 dif doesn't come close to that
speed. It is in peices in the garage at the moment, but when I last had it
out for a drive it was doing 60 mph at red line on the tach. WTF?  It's been
that way ever since I got it 4 years ago.

Like Ryan I figure on "refreshing" (love that word!) the engine though it is
only supposed to have about 6.000 miles on it per the PO. The main problem
it has is serious oil leakage. It runs very well but apparently something is
screwy per the tach/speedo numbers you guys are talking about. WTF would
cause this?  Is the tach reading too high?  It idles perfectly at around
800-900 rpm indicated when warm. I know the speedo is correct - I had
Carolyn follow me at several different speeds and it is very close to what
her new PU showed. Also, it is very free reving and wants to go past red
line. I changed out the 4.22 dif for the 3.9 dif last spring - no
difference. Downhill with a tail wind I can get 65 mph at red line but
that's it.

All ideas welcome....

Cheers!!
Jim

On Mon, Jul 6, 2009 at 10:21 PM, Frank <spritenut@comcast.net> wrote:

> ryan.kubanoff@comcast.net wrote:
>
>> i am driving a stock 1275 '74. on the highway i am concerned to push past
>> 4k rpm's for any length of time.
>>
> Ryan
>
> The 1275 sweet spot is 4200 rpms, and it will run at that speed all day
> long.
> 4500 is probably 80 mph with a 3.9 which is what you have. It is a bit fast
> for all day driving but Ok for short bursts.
> The machinist I use knows 1275s and for a couple of 300 bucks, he will do
> everything it needs if you supply the parts.
> $100 for the head work, you supply the guides, $30 a hole to bore it if it
> needs it and he will polish the crank at the shop.
> If the crank needs to be cut, he sends it out. He also installs the pistons
> on the rods which is another machine shop job unless you have the oven to
> heat the rods to remove and replace the pistons.
> I also have a couple of spare heads if you want me to drop one off to him
> for a head job. Then you can just swap them out.
>

> --
> Frank Clarici
> Toms River, NJ
> My own Fleet of Sprites

Cheers!!
Jim
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am
not
sure about the former. - Albert Einstein