Re: [Spridgets] Mazda rotary

To: "'JLC'" <breton48@live.com>, "'Spridgets'"
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] Mazda rotary
From: "JLC" <breton48@live.com>
Date: Sun, 8 Nov 2009 08:51:21 -0700
Oops... for the weight, I meant 2500 lbs, as otherwise the weight of the
Mazda 7 would be on par with a Lotus 7!

JLC

I wrote:

That's from memory... The RX7 first series was manufactured from 1979 to
1985. It used the 12A, except for the GSL model which had the 12B and bigger
brakes - that was the only difference. The 12A was producing 100 hp, the 12B
a little more, I don't remember exactly how much more.

I raced a 1983 RX7 in SCCA "Spec 7" in So Cal, and for a while the 12a
engine and the transmission/rear axle for these cars were in high demand
because of the racing in CA and AZ (Spec 7 and Pro 7 in both SCCA and NASA)
, but no more - most of the "Spec 7" racers moved to the Spec Miata series.
Where we had 30 cars plus in a race, a friend who was still racing two years
ago said he was one of two or three on the track then. I would imagine they
will eliminate those categories soon, if it has not already been done. By
the way, both the Spec 7 and Pro 7 categories were limited to the first
series RX7 with the 12A engine and the smaller brakes (no GSL).

These cars were nearly "bullet proof", the only weak point being the
transmission (poor ratios compared with the Miata box, and weak syncros). We
had to keep the weight above 1250 lbs, and the brakes standards. At that
time most of us were using Hawks Blue racing pads, which were wearing the
rotors and we had to replace them often - either they were getting too thin,
or they cracked (a very common occurrence!)

JLC