Re: [Spridgets] A (sad) tale of ethanol??

To: Barrie Robinson <barrie@look.ca>
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] A (sad) tale of ethanol??
From: Jim Johnson <bmwwxman@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 25 May 2011 15:07:06 -0500
There is an additional problem here....   I have been trying to warn the
Spridget community about this for several years. I first ran into the
problem with my 1989 K100 BMW motorcycle which has fuel injection and the
fuel pump inside the fuel tank.

Ethanol in fuel is hygroscopic. It sucks up moisture turning to a lump of
Jello like gunk which clogs fuel lines, tanks, filters, pumps, carbs,
injectors and injection rails on older vehicles. When those lumps dry over
the winter you get the crystals and corrosion described.

Additionally, the ethanol will dissolve many types of pre-ethanol
requirement rubber tubes, hoses and gaskets causing leaks, fuel squirts all
over everything and shoving of the dissolving rubber buts through carbs,
filters, pumps and injectors...etc.

Finally (and maybe worst of all), it is impossible to tell by checking the
pump which fuel has ethanol in it and how much.  The pumps are supposed to
be marked, but they rarely are and the EPA doesn't often enforce this
mandate.

What this means is that it is up to you to determine if the fuel you are
getting is dangerous to your vehicle or not.  The only way to do this is to
purchase a test kit and text the fuel at the pump before filling your tank.

The BMW motorcycle community has been burning up the email pages of our
congress critters and senate flubs for about a year now without getting much
response. It would help if car hobbyists joined the party. The more people
who *itch, the better the chance of getting something done about (read: TO)
the EPA before they bankrupt us all!! That agency has become its own
watchdog and its own government. It is destroying a lot more things in our
country than just our vehicles!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsSQSuCiUjE

http://www.fuel-testers.com/order.html

Cheers!!
Jim

P.S. When are we gonna tackle the lack of ZDDP in lubricants for flat tappet
engines??

On Wed, May 25, 2011 at 12:26 PM, Steven Guterman <an5.sprite@gmail.com>wrote:

> It is called a very powerful farm lobby.  Not only do they force the use of
> ethanol, but they also restrict cheaper ethanol imports from Brazil that
> can
> make the stuff at 1/2 the price using sugar cane.  The final killer is due
> to the use of ethanol form corn, feed stock prices have gone up making our
> food more expensive.
>
> Misguided and stupid policy even if ethanol was good.
>
> Steve
>
> On Wed, May 25, 2011 at 11:57 AM, derf <derf247@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > It irritates me that the government practically mandates it, and at
> > the same time makes auto makers improve fuel mileage.
> > I suppose we the people are subsidizing the crap, too.

Cheers!!
Jim Johnson
Don't miss the BIG PARTY!!  Midget 50th Anniversary!
Elkhart Lake, WI  July 18-22, 2011
Info & Registration here:
http://www.sprite-midgetclub.org

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html