Re: [Spridgets] Head Stud Torque Setting

To: Michael MacLean <rrengineer.mike@att.net>, "spridgets@autox.team.net" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] Head Stud Torque Setting
From: Peter Caldwell via Spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Date: Sat, 28 Nov 2015 13:24:05 -0600
--===============3233790322461297684==
 boundary="------------060808070906020709070002"

--------------060808070906020709070002

Do you have to put boots and an overcoat on?  Suckitup!   Just got back
from a spin in my Mini.  Brisk

On 11/28/2015 1:20 PM, Michael MacLean wrote:
> You're going to make me go out in the cold garage and remove the valve
> cover and look to see what kind of spacers I have.
> Mike
>

> On Saturday, November 28, 2015 11:15 AM, Peter Caldwell
> <peter@nosimport.com> wrote:
>

>     Hmmm  some/most/all? high lift use solid spacers, so back to
>     torquing, I venture.
>

>     On 11/28/2015 12:47 PM, Michael MacLean wrote:
>>     I will check the rocker bushings, but there is only a few
>>     thousand miles on the rocker assembly since the 1275 was built a
>>     few years ago.  They are high ratio (1.5) rockers, but I don't
>>     think there is that much wear on them yet.  The very first time I
>>     put oil in the engine, the oil would fill the valve cover before
>>     it would eventually drain down in the block.  When I built this
>>     engine I went kinda crazy trying to lighten the valve train and
>>     installed hollow pushrods. Besides, they don't flex or bend.  The
>>     problem is the holes that the pushrods pass through were
>>     enlarged, but apparently not large enough for oil to easily pass by.
>>     Mike MacLean
>>

>>     On Saturday, November 28, 2015 10:01 AM, Peter Caldwell
>>

>>         And while loose, you can wiggle the rockers to feel if maybe
>>         those bushings are worn, which can be another reason the head
>>         gets flooded with oil
>>
>>         On 11/28/2015 11:53 AM, rrengineer.mike wrote:
>>         "Palm to forehead",  why didn't I think of that?  Thanks
>>         Peter for saving me all that work. Besides, I would have to
>>         figure out how my new electronic works.
>>         Mike MacLean
>>

>>         Sent via the Samsung GALAXY S® 5, an AT&T 4G LTE smartphone

  <head>
  </head>
    Do you have to put boots and an overcoat on?  Suckitup!   Just got
    back from a spin in my Mini.  Brisk<br>
      wrote:<br>
cite="mid:419996747.10954400.1448738449425.JavaMail.yahoo@mail.yahoo.com"
      type="cite">
        new roman, new york, times, serif;font-size:16px">
          me go out in the cold garage and remove the valve cover and
          look to see what kind of spacers I have.</div>
            serif; font-size: 16px;">
              Helvetica, Arial, Lucida Grande, sans-serif; font-size:
              16px;">
                  November 28, 2015 11:15 AM, Peter Caldwell
                  <a class="moz-txt-link-rfc2396E"
href="mailto:peter@nosimport.com";>&lt;peter@nosimport.com&gt;</a> wrote:<br>
                255); margin-left: 5px; margin-top: 5px; padding-left:
                5px;"> <br>
                      spacers, so back to torquing, I venture.<br
                        clear="none">
                        id="yiv4805959811yqt55144">
                          11/28/2015 12:47 PM, Michael MacLean wrote:<br
                            clear="none">

style="color:#000;background-color:#fff;font-family:times
                            new roman, new york, times,
                            serif;font-size:16px;">

id="yiv4805959811yui_3_16_0_1_1448735926361_3088">I
                              will check the rocker bushings, but there
                              is only a few thousand miles on the rocker
                              assembly since the 1275 was built a few
                              years ago.  They are high ratio (1.5)
                              rockers, but I don't think there is that
                              much wear on them yet.  The very first
                              time I put oil in the engine, the oil
                              would fill the valve cover before it would
                              eventually drain down in the block.  When
                              I built this engine I went kinda crazy
                              trying to lighten the valve train and
                              installed hollow pushrods. Besides, they
                              don't flex or bend.  The problem is the
                              holes that the pushrods pass through were
                              enlarged, but apparently not large enough
                              for oil to easily pass by.</div>
                                clear="none">
                              style="display:block;">
                                new york, times, serif;font-size:16px;">
                                  Helvetica Neue, Helvetica, Arial,
                                  Lucida Grande,
                                  sans-serif;font-size:16px;">
                                      face="Arial"> On Saturday,
                                      November 28, 2015 10:01 AM, Peter
                                      Caldwell <a
                                        moz-do-not-send="true"
                                        rel="nofollow" shape="rect"

class="yiv4805959811moz-txt-link-rfc2396E"
ymailto="mailto:peter@nosimport.com"; target="_blank"
                                        href="mailto:peter@nosimport.com";><a
class="moz-txt-link-rfc2396E"
href="mailto:peter@nosimport.com";>&lt;peter@nosimport.com&gt;</a></a>
                                      wrote:<br clear="none">
                                    solid rgb(16, 16,

255);margin-left:5px;margin-top:5px;padding-left:5px;">
                                      class="yiv4805959811y_msg_container">
                                          wiggle the rockers to feel if
                                          maybe those bushings are worn,
                                          which can be another reason
                                          the head gets flooded with oil<br
                                            clear="none">

class="yiv4805959811moz-cite-prefix">On

                                            11/28/2015 11:53 AM,
                                            rrengineer.mike wrote:<br
                                              clear="none">
                                            didn't I think of that?
                                             Thanks Peter for saving me
                                            all that work. Besides, I
                                            would have to figure out how
                                            my new electronic works.</div>

id="yiv4805959811composer_signature">

style="font-size:85%;color:#575757;">Sent

                                              via the Samsung GALAXY S®
                                              5, an AT&amp;T 4G LTE
                                              smartphone</div>

                                          Date: 11/28/2015 9:38 AM
                                          (GMT-08:00) <br clear="none">
                                          To: "rrengineer.mike" <a
                                            moz-do-not-send="true"
                                            rel="nofollow" shape="rect"
class="yiv4805959811moz-txt-link-rfc2396E"

ymailto="mailto:rrengineer.mike@att.net";
                                            target="_blank"

href="mailto:rrengineer.mike@att.net";><a class="moz-txt-link-rfc2396E"
href="mailto:rrengineer.mike@att.net";>&lt;rrengineer.mike@att.net&gt;</a></a>,
                                          <a moz-do-not-send="true"
                                            rel="nofollow" shape="rect"
class="yiv4805959811moz-txt-link-abbreviated"

ymailto="mailto:spridgets@autox.team.net";
                                            target="_blank"

href="mailto:spridgets@autox.team.net";>spridgets@autox.team.net</a>
                                          Subject: Re: [Spridgets] Head
                                          Stud Torque Setting <br
                                            clear="none">
                                          In those desperate times at a
                                          race, you loosen adjusting
                                          nuts and slide the rocker to
                                          the side, unless you have
                                          solid spacers.<br clear="none">

class="yiv4805959811moz-cite-prefix">On

                                            11/28/2015 11:27 AM,
                                            rrengineer.mike wrote:<br
                                              clear="none">
                                            head. I may be wrong, but I
                                            have to remove the head Stud
                                            nuts on the pedastals to
                                            lift the rocker assembly off
                                            the engine to replace the
                                            pushrods.  I'm thinking the
                                            other stud nuts have to be
                                            loosened also to re-torque
                                            the head properly. Is there
                                            another way to replace the
                                            pushrods without loosening
                                            all the head nuts in
                                            sequence?</div>

href="mailto:spridgets@autox.team.net";><a class="moz-txt-link-rfc2396E"
href="mailto:spridgets@autox.team.net";>&lt;spridgets@autox.team.net&gt;</a></a>
                                          Date: 11/28/2015 6:30 AM
                                          (GMT-08:00) <br clear="none">
                                          To: <a moz-do-not-send="true"
                                            rel="nofollow" shape="rect"
class="yiv4805959811moz-txt-link-abbreviated"

ymailto="mailto:spridgets@autox.team.net";
                                            target="_blank"

href="mailto:spridgets@autox.team.net";>spridgets@autox.team.net</a>
                                          Stud Torque Setting <br
                                            clear="none">
                                          Why pull the head at all?<br
                                            clear="none">
                                          -- <br clear="none">
                                          Peter Caldwell<br clear="none">
                                          World Wide Auto Parts of
                                          Madison WI<br clear="none">
                                          2517 Seiferth Rd<br
                                            clear="none">
                                          Madison  WI  53716<br
                                            clear="none">
                                          (608)223-9400<br clear="none">
                                          <a moz-do-not-send="true"
                                            rel="nofollow" shape="rect"
class="yiv4805959811moz-txt-link-abbreviated" target="_blank"

href="http://www.nosimport.com/";>www.nosimport.com</a><br
                                            clear="none">
                                          <a moz-do-not-send="true"
                                            rel="nofollow" shape="rect"
class="yiv4805959811moz-txt-link-freetext" target="_blank"

href="http://stores.ebay.com/worldwideimportautoparts";>http://stores.ebay.com/worldwideimportautoparts</a><br
                                            clear="none">
                                          ------------------------<br
                                            clear="none">
                                          <a moz-do-not-send="true"
                                            rel="nofollow" shape="rect"
class="yiv4805959811moz-txt-link-abbreviated"

ymailto="mailto:spridgets@autox.team.net";
                                            target="_blank"

href="mailto:spridgets@autox.team.net";>spridgets@autox.team.net</a><br
                                            clear="none">
                                          Donate: <a
                                            moz-do-not-send="true"
                                            rel="nofollow" shape="rect"
class="yiv4805959811moz-txt-link-freetext" target="_blank"

href="http://www.team.net/donate.html";><a class="moz-txt-link-freetext"
href="http://www.team.net/donate.html";>http://www.team.net/donate.html</a></a><br
                                            clear="none">
                                          Suggested annual donation:
                                          $12.75<br clear="none">
                                          Archive: <a
                                            moz-do-not-send="true"
                                            rel="nofollow" shape="rect"
class="yiv4805959811moz-txt-link-freetext" target="_blank"

href="http://www.team.net/archive";><a class="moz-txt-link-freetext"
href="http://www.team.net/archive";>http://www.team.net/archive</a></a><br
                                            clear="none">
                                          Forums: <a
                                            moz-do-not-send="true"
                                            rel="nofollow" shape="rect"
class="yiv4805959811moz-txt-link-freetext" target="_blank"

href="http://www.team.net/forums";><a class="moz-txt-link-freetext"
href="http://www.team.net/forums";>http://www.team.net/forums</a></a><br
                                            clear="none">
                                          Unsubscribe/Manage: <a
                                            moz-do-not-send="true"
                                            rel="nofollow" shape="rect"
class="yiv4805959811moz-txt-link-freetext" target="_blank"
href="http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/spridgets/rrengineer.mike@att.net";><a
 class="moz-txt-link-freetext"
href="http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/spridgets/rrengineer.mike@att.net";>http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/spridgets/rrengineer.mike@att.net</a></a>
                                            class="yiv4805959811yqt0584437866"
[...]