Re: Tiger History

To: JLAIFMAN@PNM.MHS.CompuServe.COM (Jay Laifman)
Subject: Re: Tiger History
From: Roland Dudley <cobra@cdc.hp.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Jun 96 12:42:12 PDT
> I was reading the book "Tiger: An Exceptional Motorcar".  It tells the
> story of the two prototype Tigers, the one by Shelby's company and the
> one by Ken Miles.  The book seems to leave out details of why they
> bothered with two.  They just gave $10,000 to Shelby to do it.  Maybe

I'm a little confused here.  Miles was a Shelby American employee and
worked on development for Shelby.  Does this mean that Shelby had two
Tiger development teams?

> have not learned yet.  My uneducated guess is that Shelby's attitude was
> his way was right, period.  But, Ian Garrard might have felt that the less
> modifications the better (to convince the home office of the idea) and
> wanted to prove it with a conversion setting the engine farther forward.
> It seems Shelby won out.  Is this true?

Shelby wasn't that much of a nuts and bolts guy.  His development people
usually worked out the technical details.  What his input on the Tiger
may have been was how to control manufacturing costs.  He may not have
been much of a techie, but he did understand about money.

> The book also seems to leave out why they gave Shelby a royalty on every
> Tiger (anyone know how much?).  The story says that Shelby was paid

See my last statement above.

> Any thoughts?
>
> Jay

Roland