electric fans

To: tigers@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: electric fans
From: "david duncanson" <catsclaws@msn.com>
Date: Wed, 14 May 97 12:16:31 UT
Some of you chaps are talking about the relevance of fitting an electric fan
to a tiger. Rootes carried out several tests on primarily AF7 and AF11.these
cars were of course now in the guise of MK11's.  The experimental dept . also
messed
about with under bonnet temperatures, trying side ducting to the upper
radiator intake,
a reverse facing outlet scoop in the bonnet top above the engine fan and a
cold air intake
to the carb.  they also tried a louvered bonnet ,outlet holes in the inner
wheel arches
connecting the engine compartment  etc. etc. -it wouldn't have surprised me if
they tried
ice cubes!.
As for fans , they tried the following on 11th of January  65 .

radiator  -- 127406 louvered fin "d" type matrix
radiator cap 9s.p.i.  fan [a] standard 4 blade 14 inch diameter  [b]dowty
variable pitch
electric motor AC Delco [1] 7957571 [2] 7224032 --- both using 5 blade 9"
diameter fan
 after running various tests they concluded that the AC delco motor 7957571
plus engine
fan (no fan cowl) was the best variation . it gave a time to boil from 80*C of
41 minutes compared
with 25 minutes when an electric fan was not fitted . later tests confirmed
that an electric fan was of no use
with regard to maximum speed cooling . so if your going to get stuck in a
traffic jam ----    fit a  fan
it will buy an extra 16 minutes before meltdown . you could of course move to
UK and avoid overheating
problems  -- after all our summer starts on the first week of July and ends 3
days later !!!  DSD