Re: Hardtop to body woes

To: Andy Walker <awtiger@ix.netcom.com>
Subject: Re: Hardtop to body woes
From: Steve Laifman <laifman@flash.net>
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 1997 18:11:39 +0100
Andy,

When I acquired a hard top for my car it was in pretty fair condition.
The car had a hard top on it before, but the previous owner kept it for
the Tiger he wasn't selling. The body did have those tell-tale marks
where the rubber met the paint. I purchased a new set of rubber for the
"new" hard top, just to get it in "top" shape. When I went to put on the
new bottom rubber, at the back, back sides, and corners, I found it
didn't look like the rubber that was there. The rubber on the top was in
good shape anyway, and had the unusual (to me) appearance of being one
piece of fairly narrow foam fitting in the U channel and continuing
around the top. The corner pieces were also a good deal narrower on the
inside, with small metal plates holding each in it's corner. There was
even a small guide between the side guides and the back guides for the
rubber. I seem to have acquired a later model hard top that didn't use
the wide rubber three piece system, which rubs a hole in the paint. With
one season of hard top winter (California style) there are no marks on
the paint! Soft cushiony rubber instead of firm rubber contact, absorbed
the motions without sliding on the paint. You can buy this later rubber
from CAT, or maybe SS. You may have to fabricate small channels, or
cement the rubber to the top, where it transitions from a side piece to
a back piece.

Steve
--
Steve Laifman         < Find out what is most     >
B9472289              < important in your life    >

                         _/
                    _/_/_/