RE: Hardtop to body woes

To: Steve Laifman <laifman@flash.net>,
Subject: RE: Hardtop to body woes
From: "Richard Atherton (Entex)" <a-richat@MICROSOFT.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 1997 03:21:29 -0700
        I don't think the adhesive is any big deal.  The rubbing strips
on the bottom of my MS-Ergo Mouse are teflon strips help in place by
some kind of contact cement.  On a couple of old mice, I reglued their
teflon pads with good quility contact cement.  This type of contact
cement will not come off of paint very easily, so I don't know how good
it will be if you want to glue the tape to the car instead of the rubber
seal.

        Basically, regardless of what kind of rubber, foam, teflon, etc
you use, the factory Hard Tops WILL leave some kind of tell tail mark or
discoloration on the paint indicating the it has been used.  If you use
my tape idea on the body, you will find either a a reaction from the
glue catalysts or a darker strip when the tape is removed due to the
lack of UV light under the tape.  Face it....You're going to have some
kind of a mark.

Rich