Re: Hardtop to body woes

To: "Andy Walker" <awtiger@ix.netcom.com>
Subject: Re: Hardtop to body woes
From: Tom Hall <modtiger@engravers.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 1997 17:45:39 -0700 (PDT)
At 05:58 PM 6/18/97 -0700, you wrote:
>Hey, guys:
>
>       I need some advise from some folks here about a problem that crops up
>everytime I remove my factory hardtop from my Tiger.  The problem is that
>it leaves some fairly serious marks on the paint on the body of the car
>where it sits.  You can definitely look at the car and tell it has had a
>hardtop on it.  My paint is in very nice condition and I would sure like to
>keep it that way, but this is making it tough!  I have recently restored
>the top so it has all the new rubber trim from Sunbeam Specialties.  Is
>there maybe something I can condition the seals with to keep them from
>rubbing the paint raw?  Any suggestions would be appreciated.
>
>                                               Thanks,
>                                               Andy Walker
>                                               B382001600
        The best solution I have come up with is to apply a clear vinyl
laminate to the body under the seal contact area.  This keeps the rubber
from contacting the paint surface and avoids abrasion.  The only problem is
that the seal path extends beyond the boot cover, so it shows with the soft
top up or down.  If your car is dark enough, this may not be a major
problem.  Since you already have a "path" to follow, simply applying black
electrical tape before installing the hardtop will keep the scratching from
getting worse.  This is easy enough that you can remove and replace it at
will.

Tom Hall