Re: EngineQuestion

To: Andy Frese <frese@muskingum.edu>
Subject: Re: EngineQuestion
From: Anita Barrett <anitabrt@mindspring.com>
Date: Sat, 10 Jan 1998 20:54:54 -0500
At 09:50 AM 1/9/98 -0500, you wrote:
>Ladies and gentlemen, I need some education regarding the use of a 302
>vs the 289 for the MkII.  Not having participated in any events for so
>many years, I am not aware of classification problems (stock, modified,
>etc) of engine changes.  Basically, I'm restoring (damn, I removed the
>original pop rivets on the ID plates) the MkII and want to be "stock" .
>Is it a big deal?  And how does one tell the difference between a 289
>4bolt main and a two bolt main without removing the pan?  Is the 2 vs 4
>bolt a big deal?  Thanks in advance
>(/)32

Andy,
        If it is a 289, it has 2 bolt main bearing caps.  The Boss 302 had
4 bolt
main caps and the first identifing mark was screw in plugs in place of the
freeze plugs.  The second identifing mark is the outragious price for the Boss
302.  The third mark is the Cleveland heads instead of the Windsor heads.
Jim Barrett Tiger II 351C and others