Re: Shake, Rattle & Roll

To: Steve Laifman <laifman@flash.net>
Subject: Re: Shake, Rattle & Roll
From: Bob Palmer <rpalmer@ames.ucsd.edu>
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 1998 18:58:19
Steve,

Sounds like you got it backwards Steve; it's your engine that loves to rock
and roll, so why not crank up the stereo and cut it some slack??
Seriously, I assume you have revved the engine with the hood up while
looking for stuff shaking. I'm thinking your Gen/Alt is loose and shaking
because of loose lower mounting bracket, etc.; maybe pulleys not straight
or loose, etc. Get out your wrench set and double check all the mounting
bolts, etc. Obviously, if you ONLY changed carb/manifold there are just a
few likely suspects.

Let us know what you find out. Best regards,

Bob

At 05:58 PM 1/27/98 +0000, you wrote:
>I love to rock and roll, but my engine doesn't.
>
>Have a new, and strange problem. After a manifold/carb change I notice a
>distinct engine vibration commencing at about 900 rpm, peaking at about
>1500 rpm, and disappearing into the general vibrations at 1800 rpm. This
>occurs in neutral with the clutch in or out, and in gear while
>accelerating.
>
>My intuition says "harmonic balance", but nothing I am aware of was
>changed. I am now thinking that in R&R of the distributor, wires, etc.
>for the manifold change, an ignition wire, or connection, may have been
>damaged. Maybe one cylinder is suffering an ignition deficit at those
>rpms? I tried checking the tightness of the spark plug connections.
>Can't get my mitts on most of them.
>
>Any theories?
>
>Oh yes, I added the Pertronics point replacement set prior to this, and
>it seems to be just great.
>
>Steve
>--
>Steve Laifman         < One first kiss,       >
>B9472289              < one first love, and   >
>                      < one first win, is all >
>                      < you get in this life. >

>                         _/
>                    _/_/_/