Yet another opinion on 5-speeds

To: "Tigerlist *" <tigers@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Yet another opinion on 5-speeds
From: "Larry Wright" <lrw@aop.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Apr 1998 08:08:01 -0400
I gotta jump in although it's at least the 3rd time I've posted on the
subject. Or 4th. Or 5th.

If I wanted to listen to the engine rev its guts out on the highway, I
would've bought an Abarth or something (actually, not a bad idea!  :-)).
The Garage Queen has one of Dale's 5-speeds, 0.81-to-1 5th, and the 2.88
gears. Highway driving is pleasant, but I won't quote RPM's @ speed because
I'm certain neither instrument is trustworthy. BTW, I've dumped the
185/70-13 Yoko A008's for 205/60-13 Yoko AVS's, but forgot to measure both
for diameter differences (and found out the hard hay before that using a
calculator only gives you an approximation).

The point about cams is important; I have the Ford Motorsports GT40 302,
and I was _warned_ to get that cam out in favor of something milder, but I
didn't listen. Now I fall off the bottom of the torque curve. But honestly,
whom amongst you ever voluntarily _lowered_ the HP of your cars?

Lawrence R. Wright
Purchasing Analyst
Andrews Office Products, Divison of USOP
PH 301-386-7923  FX 301-386-5333
lrw@aop.com