Re: Under Hood Heat

To: Larry Allbritton <larryall@pacbell.net>
Subject: Re: Under Hood Heat
From: Tom Hall <modtiger@engravers.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Apr 1998 19:13:23 -0700
At 05:25 PM 4/23/98 -0700, you wrote:

>Hello Steve
>I have heard this discussion many times.  Most of my overheating
>problems
>occur not at road speed but in stop and go traffic.  At low speeds there
>seems to not be enough air going through the radiator AND not enough
>outlets for the hot air to escape from the engine compartment. I was
>wondering what your views are on LOW speed cooling deficiencies.
>--
>Larry Allbritton
>B9472723

The primary cause of low speed overheating relates to two primary factors.
The first factor is related to cam timing.  Hot cams can create problems
because of thermodynamic changes which modify engine heat release
characteristics.  With essentially stock cam timing, the second and more
basic problem relates to recirculation of air around the radiator and
engine compartment at low speeds.  Closing the two holes on either side of
the radiator is a good first step.  The second step is to close the gap
between the radiator and the front crossmember.  I have done this with
rubber sheeting with excellent effectiveness.  Finally you have the gap at
the top of the radiator and this could be closed with either foam or sheet
stock.

All of these should be tried and if sufficient cooling is not obtained,
either a more effective radiator or a electric fan boost may be required,
but stop the recirculation first.

Tom