Re: Under Hood Heat

To: RSpontelli <RSpontelli@aol.com>
Subject: Re: Under Hood Heat
From: Bob Palmer <rpalmer@ames.ucsd.edu>
Date: Sun, 26 Apr 1998 14:37:28 -0700
Ramon, et al.,

Easy big guy!! Of course we're all nuts. Isn't "Sane Tiger Owner" an
oxymoron??  I think you may be exaggerating a good point though. However,
recalling way back to my "stock" Tiger, it did have what I would call a
heating problem, although one I lived with for many years. Installation of
the right radiator likely would have been all it took to solve the problem,
and obviated the need for blocking holes, etc., etc. However, that's not to
say that doing all these minor modifications don't do at least a little
good. Moreover, I think it's obvious that cooling has been a chronic
problem for Tigers from the beginning, since the factory rally cars also
sported vents and other cooling aids. Other cars with tight fitting engines
have also had the same problem.

Generally, I think as a group we've been doing a lot better these days in
the cooling area. It used to be that at the track, you could always count
on most of the Tigers collectively puking their coolant out. Now days, I
think that we are beginning to establish a better reputation, in this and
other regards as well, thanks to you and others that represent our mark
well in competitive events.

Maybe your real point is that we still can't get a really bitchin radiator
from CAT. That may or may not be true; I couldn't say since I have gone
another route. I don't think CAT parts have ever enjoyed a reputation for
being the best you can buy. Maybe in some cases the ONLY you can buy, but
not the BEST. This may be result of too many of us being more concerned
with cost than quality, but this is only part of the problem. At least with
radiators, there's nothing so unique about a Tiger that anyone can't go to
their local radiator shop and get something that will work and there have
been a lot of postings on this list of a variety of solutions that seem to
work. They do all require shelling out a fair hunk of change though. But
this is certainly not an area to try and save a few bucks. Better to skip a
few of the "go fast" parts if you have to give up something.

Bob
B9472134, SHO, etc.

At 02:00 AM 4/26/98 -0400, you wrote:

>I think you people are all nuts.
>
>Why don't you just bolt a 4 x 8-foot sheet of plyboard to the front of your
>cars, with just a radiator-size opening, right  in front of the radiator?
>Just think of all the air that will make go through the radiator!  And if
THAT