Re: Under Hood Heat

To: RSpontelli <RSpontelli@aol.com>
Subject: Re: Under Hood Heat
From: Steve Laifman <laifman@flash.net>
Date: Tue, 28 Apr 1998 07:35:17 +0100

RSpontelli wrote:

   >>  Did you have a bad day?

   >To the contrary, I had a good day.  A very good day.  Though midnight is a
bit
   >of a stretch for a day that starts at 4:00 a.m. and includes two and a half
   >three hours of Friday commute into ElSeFrigginGundo.

Yup, from your description of "good", I understand your mood, if not your
science.  What the heck is a "bad" day?

  >Want to see it again?

Not  any time soon.

   >You're the rocket scientist.  Explain to me how pluggin' up those "horn
holes"
   > (which are nowhere near the horns on me Series II) makes more air go
through

   > the radiator.

O.K.," I'll 'splain it, Lucy".  The air intake, which is larger than the
radiator
cross section, directs the air to the radiator and, due to it's larger frontal
area, increases the air velocity by De Laval's principles.  Remember, you want
the radiator are, not the header area, compared to the
air intake cross section.

As a practical demonstration, put your mouth over a small funnel and blow, while
feeling the air coming out the funnel small end.  I am sure
you will find the pressure inside your mouth higher, and the velocity of the air
coming out of the nozzle higher, than with a tube with a
similar large end diameter.  This is an extreme example, as the reduction is not
quite that great, but it is significant.>  Anyway, sorry you not
feeling well.

Now there are two glaring deviations from this principle present on most of the
Tigers I've ever seen.  My horns are mounted two frame
holes behind the radiator header, and extend through the header, alongside the
radiator, on steel tongues.  There is a large air gap around this
"port" and the horn.  high velocity air entering the front is allowed to pass
through these openings, INSTEAD of through the radiator.  This
not only reduces the radiator air mass flow, but reduces the air pressure, as
well.  I have know idea where the horns are on your Series II
Alpine, but if you've got the header holes, your losing even more air, as the
horns are not obstructing any of the flow. Of course Alpines,
as everybody knows, do not have heating problems (unless you blow a head gasket
(I did, 4 times).

I hope that answer's your question, which would better have been posed before
you
took potshots at everybody.

   >La-de-da-da, feelin' GROOVY!

Don't worry, Ramon.  Those "grooves" you notice are just a normal part of aging,
and do not necessarily indicate creeping senility.

{8->

Steve

--
                      < one first win, is all >