Re: Speedometer Cable Questions

To: Rich Atherton <gumby@connectexpress.com>
Subject: Re: Speedometer Cable Questions
From: Steve Laifman <Laifman@Flash.Net>
Date: Fri, 05 Jun 1998 07:51:14 +0100

Rich Atherton wrote:

>     This may be news to everyone here, but the speedo problems May have a real
> simple fix.  .......  connect the speedo cable
> to the multiplier.  The ratios within the little gear boxes are selectable.
> This is far better than changing the driven gear in the tranny.  Leave it
>stock,
> so the gear mesh  / wear ratio is the same, and do all of the changing
> externally in the little multiplier.  They're pretty cheap too.
>
> Rich

Rich,

Your getting a lot of mail from me today.  I did mention, in passing, about the
ratio reducers used in the trucking industry.  Even recommended them as a means
of
changing calibration as well as direction.

I have had some experience with these.  But some really great "meats" on my
hand-crafted special, and had a horrendous speedo problem.  The speedo shop
recommended a st of transfer gears.  The one I used monted to the back of the
speedo (or in-line, if you haven't the room), and had two gears inside a
die-cast
case. These were top quality brass gears.  The case could be dis-assembled for
lubrication, service, ofr gear changes.  With this device you can correct just
about any input to the output the speedo wants.  It corrects both the
speedometer
and the odometer.  Re-magnetizing does NOTHING for your odometer, BTW.

They are not cheap, (about $60, 15 years ago), but a lot less expensive than a
speedo rebuild.  That rebuild can get even more expensive if you want the
odometer
corrected as well.  Even worse, depending upon how far off you are, all the
correct
Jaeger gears are no longer available.

This fortunate part about the Tiger is that the cable ends and collets are
standard
American, so the speedo shop has a case that fits.  This is a small unit, so
even
an in-line mount (with one speedo cable in and another out to the instrument) is
possible.

Steve

--
                      < one first win, is all >