Re: Hobson's choice

To: Jeff Howarth <jeff@v8tiger.demon.co.uk>
Subject: Re: Hobson's choice
From: Steve Laifman <Laifman@Flash.Net>
Date: Sat, 13 Jun 1998 15:17:46 +0100

Jeff Howarth wrote:

> Larry,
>
> try placing a plastic bag across the top of the reservior under the
> master cylinder cap.
>
> Remember, the cap allows air in to let the fluid go down when the brake
> pads wear !
>
> regards
>
> --
> Jeff Howarth

Jeff,

I am sur you meant for the "plastic bag" to act as a "temporary" way to hold the
fluid from leaking. I tried Saran Wrap and found it was soluble in Girling LMA.
Suggest compatability test before use.

There is a hole in the cap of both brake and clutch master cylinders to let air
in to replace fluid height change.  Problem is that the replacement air contains
moisture, which is promptly absorbed into the fluid.  American (and British)
manufacturers have been using sealed systems, with an accordian bellows seal, to
let the fluid change height without contact with the air.  Unfortunately, most
available seals of tis nature are for dual cylinders, or for ones that do not
fit our diameters.

I have acquired a pair of hydraulic fluid compatible bellows seals for both
cylinders, and they work very well.  The supplier is Tiger Technologies.  The
product is a good value and well made.  I recommend them.

Steve

--
                      < one first win, is all >
                      < you get in this life. >