Re: Tiger Trunk (Boot) lock

To: Colin Cobb <cobmeister@zianet.com>
Subject: Re: Tiger Trunk (Boot) lock
From: Steve Sage <rootes@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Jun 1998 12:32:02 -0700

Colin Cobb wrote:

> Hey Gang,
>
> Took the Tiger to the grocery store a couple of days ago and, much to
> my dismay, when I attempted to open the trunk (boot) the damned push
> button thing gave up the ghost... Just depressed all the way without
> engaging.  I have spent considerable time messing with it and no way
> can I get it open. Button just depresses without result.
>
> If I ever get it open I can figure it out and replace the locking
> mechanism with one from Sunbeam Specialties.
>
> Anybody had this problem before?  .......

Hello Colin:

By an unhappy coincidence, upon returning from Tigers United (and a good
time we had too!), my trunk on the Series V Alpine wouldn't open either.
I shook and wiggled the trunk and the car every which way to no avail.
What had happened is that I had jammed so much stuff in there that the
edge of a box, or something, had jammed the lock "striker" in the closed
position.

Here's what you'll probably have to do, as I did:

Just behind (to the rear of) your convertable top boot (hole), directly
under the  front of the chrome trunk latches (with the hard top fitting
holes), is a bolt that holds the latch, and the trunk, to the body of the
car. Just reach under there (with the top up), directly under the latch,
& you'll feel the nut that holds the latch on (you'll have to feel
through a circluar hole cut in that piece of sheet metal to get to it).
Use a suitable "ratchet" and remove the bolts on both sides. The trunk
lid will pop open at that point and you'll be able to get to the latch,
or "wiggle" the trunk lid until the latch opens.

I also used this "opportunity" to re-align the trunk lid which had never
fit correctly. You can do that by adjusting the part of the latches that
attach to the car body, and also by adjusting either or  both of the
latches where they attach to the trunk lid. There is a screw and a bolt
on each latch on each side.  You'll probably have to do both to get
things just right. You need to play with the ajustments back and forth
and forward and back until you get it as close as possible.  Remember to
tighten down the bolts just enough to hold, after each adjustment, until
you get it right.  Close the trunk until, with the ajustments, it closes
properly. Then, really tighten things up as there's a lot of leverage
taking place and the adjustments will "un-adjust" if you don't.

Good luck!

Steve Sage