Re: Brake Rotors

To: Bruce Richards <bruiser@ont.com>
Subject: Re: Brake Rotors
From: Bob Palmer <rpalmer@ames.ucsd.edu>
Date: Thu, 13 Aug 1998 17:26:19 -0700
Bruiser,

I'm a little unclear about this "half inch spot" you refer to. Is this
roughly 1/2" diameter, and how much below minimum is it? And where is it on
the rotor, near the outer or inner radius? Had they turned the rotor down
to the 0.460" minimum and this small spot was what was left? If so, you
might consider using it, especially if the spot is not too deep. Your
question leads to  one I have, and that is who decides and on what basis
does it become illegal to turn a rotor down below a certain thickness?
Obviously, at some point it becomes dangerous, but 0.040 out of 1/2" is
only 8%. My rear rotors are the same diameter and they start out at 0.4".
Your brake shop has to go by the books, but my guess is that turning the
rotor another 5 or 10 thousands won't place your life in jeopardy. And if
you are anything like what your nickname implies, then you probably like
taking chances anyway.  ;>)

If you tell me a little more about how you drive your car, then perhaps I
can offer some advice about brake pads. There are dozens of choices,
depending on you budget and what's important to you. We could put some full
metallic pads on your car and that 1/2" spot would probably disappear real
quick!!

If you need a new rotor, I'm sure someone can help you find one. There's a
lot of Tiger, Alpine, Triumph, etc. people out there driving with rotors in
much worse shape than yours. When I need stuff, one of the first places I
try is Smitty's Sunbeams here in San Diego. He has, hands down, the biggest
stock of Sunbeam and Rootes (mostly) used parts on the planet. His number
is 619-233-7937. If you ever get to San Diego, make a point to visit
Smitty's place. You'll be astounded by both Smitty (aka Loren) and his
knowledge of things Sunbeam as well as his vast collection of Sunbeam
parts. (Kind of like a well-organized Sunbeam junk yard).

Good luck with the brakes,

Bob