Re: Brake Rotors

To: CoolVT@aol.com, bruiser@ont.com
Subject: Re: Brake Rotors
From: Bob Palmer <rpalmer@ames.ucsd.edu>
Date: Thu, 13 Aug 1998 21:21:21 -0700
Mark,

Interesting story and illustrates the point. It might be good for Bruiser
to check the thickness of his turned rotors. I think that the Sunbeam
manual says not to turn them below 0.460", so you should be able to go at
least this far safely. But I'll bet there are a few Tigers and a lot more
Alpines out there with a lot less meat on their rotors. Let's each of us go
measure our rotors and report back tomorrow. Anyone have one fail for this
reason? I know the whole hub can break off, but what about just the rotor.
Didn't Ramon have this problem last year?? Can't remember the cause
offhand. Hey Laifman, dig through your archives and see if you can find
that thread. Must have been over a year ago. Hmmmm??? Sheared off as I
remember and I think the cause was too much wheel bearing play, at least
that was the explanation I offered. So, maybe while we check our rotor
thicknesses, we should also check the wheel bearings. BTW, after yet
another year with my Tiger's wheel bearing nuts tightened to about 12
lb-ft, everything's still OK and, of course, no play. I think I've been
running them this tight since, let's see, I was living in La Jolla at the
time so, about 1987 or so. Of course, I've re-packed the bearings a time or
two since then. My procedure is to tighten to 14 lb-ft, and then back off
to the nearest full 1/12 turn; i.e., between 1/6 and 1/12 turn. Check them
from time-to-time and re-tighten as necessary to remove all perceptible
play. Hey, this isn't my idea; it's what the manual says; and it seems to
work.

Bob