Re: headers

To: "STEPHEN SALATA USAET(UTC -04:00)" <ssalata.ford@e-mail.com>
Subject: Re: headers
From: Steve Laifman <laifman@flash.net>
Date: Thu, 13 Aug 1998 17:46:48 -0700

STEPHEN SALATA USAET(UTC -04:00) wrote:

> Coating headers with a sprayed aluminum finish has been around for years.
> The "BLACKJACK" brand of headers first did it in early 1980's.  I've coated
> several pairs at local shops for about $80.00 a pair.  They definitely
> give off more heat, raising underhood temps (and lowering the efficiency
> of the headers).  But they do keep them looking good.

OK,

I guess it's my turn in the barrel.  Even with Allan's good intentioned, if
maybe a little scrambled message after a night on "Big BEER Mountain", I think
he means:

Aluminized Ceramic flame sprayed coating (in colors) on steel tube headers.
We have been using this technique on jet engine turbine blades for many years
now.  They DEFINITELY are not "Aluminum" material characteristics of good
thermal conductivity, but the poor thermal conductivity of ceramics, with the
good looking finish of aluminum.  The heat is kept inside the header.  The
good shops coat both the inside and outside of the headers with a flame-spray
technique that combines the dissimilar materials into a durable coating.

This inside and outside very high temp spray is what "Jet-Hott" does.  They
cost about twice as much as the similar technigues that just do the outside.
The outside only coat is good looking, and durable, and effective, but not as
much as doing both sides (in and out).

My two cents (or $300/pair with YOUR headers at Jet-Hot).

As Ditry Harry said, "Go ahead, Make my day!"
or:
"Are you feeling lucky?"

Steve

--