Re: Fraud?

To: HW200@aol.com, mmeswarb@huntel.net, tigers@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Fraud?
From: Bob Palmer <rpalmer@ames.ucsd.edu>
Date: Sat, 22 Aug 1998 18:27:08 -0700
Henry,

Is this the best you can do?? Don't shoot the messenger here. Norm just
posted this on his Web page a few months ago and now passed on to the list
the latest chapter for this car. I understand the car has been inspected on
several occassions by the "experts" and there is no doubt about its
lineage. The recent owner/seller is well aware of this, although perhaps
not when he purchased it. If your rather oblique point is that people, even
Norm, occassionally make mistakes, then I would have to agree that this is,
in general, a possibility. And mistake, or no mistake, accusations of fraud
might lead to legal suits and all that kind of nastiness. But Norm's a big
boy, so we'll let him decide for himself how much risk he wants to take. As
I mentioned recently, TAC is very careful to stop well short of identifying
"conversions" and certainly not anywhere near to publishing a list of
suspects. Obviously, Norm feels a little stronger about exposing frauds,
but I'll bet he is damned sure before he publicizes it.

Anyway, you can be sure in the case in question that the victim is NOT the
guy with the $30k in his pocket.

Groovin' in San Diego,

Bob