Re: [Fwd: Stopping Power]

To: Steve Laifman <laifman@flash.net>,
Subject: Re: [Fwd: Stopping Power]
From: Bob Palmer <rpalmer@ames.ucsd.edu>
Date: Tue, 20 Oct 1998 15:34:33
Steve, Rich, et Listers,

First off Steve, I apologize for my sarcasm this morning and I want
everyone on the List to know I always appreciate your comments, critical or
otherwise.

Now, what was it I was going to say?? Oh yes, about brakes and
proportioning valves. I guess everyone knows that a proportioning valve can
only reduce the pressure, not increase it. Consequently, if you don't have
enough braking in the rear, the proportioning valve will only make it
worse. Also, I believe that at least the earlier Alpines had a bigger bore
rear brake slave cylinder than the Tigers do. (or is it the other way
around?) In any case there are at least two sizes available. Also, I
remember when Lou Anderson was campaigning his Tiger that he increased the
stock bore to use some other piston (maybe Datsun or ?). Based on Lou's
experience, I installed the earlier (bigger) slave cylinders in my Tiger.
Even this did not give too much braking in the rear. Never could figure why
Sunbeam made this change. (Maybe Rich wrote them and told them his Alpine
was locking up in the rear first?) Anyway, it's my impression that usually
the rear drums on a Tiger aren't doing as much work as they should. This
can be strongly affected by the friction compounds used front and rear of
course, but as I said earlier, I never had this problem myself other than
the time I installed the shoes wrong.

Bob

At 02:38 PM 10/20/98 -0700, Steve Laifman wrote:
>Rich,
>
>I agree with you about stopping.  The limiting factor is
>probably the tires.  If you're locking up the rear brakes,
>it a sign of imbalance in
>pressure between the disc and drum brakes and a single
>servo.  Each wants a different pressure for the same
>braking, and the drums take
>the least pressure to lock.  What the car is missing is a
>front/rear proportioning valve, in lieu off twin master
>cylinder with different bores.
>These are available, adjustable, and fairly simple to
>install and adjust.  The early Mustang's used them with
>combination brakes, and a
>few companies make new ones.
>
>Steve

Bob Palmer