Re: [Fwd: Stopping Power]

To: "steve sage" <rootes@ix.netcom.com>, <tigers@Autox.Team.Net>,
Subject: Re: [Fwd: Stopping Power]
From: "Rich Atherton" <gumby@connectexpress.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Oct 1998 12:03:50 -0700
>Granted, you probably never hit the brakes going 130+ mph, but under most
circumstances
>they can be made to work pretty well.

My old Alpine wouldn't hit 130 mph falling from the SKY, let a lone on the
road.  Nope, Most hard braking was down il on widy roads, at about 60 to 70
tops....

>Regarding REPCO, they're out of business, so we need to find an equivalent

yes, I know, but there may be some NOS pads out there somewhere.  They were
very good Pads.

>Regarding your rears locking up before the fronts; this is not good.

Actually, this is more of a drivers setup choice.  I prefered it myself.
Absolutely did not want the fronts to lock first!  no no no!  Let the ass
end get light and loose, I can still STEER !!.  Lock the fronts, and you go
straight into the ditch...Newton's 3rd Law of Ditch Magnets.

>Also, what's this about "the Alpine was lighter, and may have had better
>brake cooling (more cool air around them)". What is the weight difference?
>Maybe 10% heavier? And aren't the Alpine and Tiger brakes identical?

 It was lighter, but I don't have the figures anymore, andI said I don't
think it made much of a difference.  The cooling is just conjecture on my
part.  The tigers have so much more heat under the hoot than the Alpines do,
I thought it might have an impact, although probably slight