Re: Clutch Master Cylinder

To: W John Gardiner <johngard@vianet.on.ca>
Subject: Re: Clutch Master Cylinder
From: Steve Laifman <laifman@flash.net>
Date: Mon, 28 Dec 1998 08:07:11 -0800
John,

Just got through replacing that cylinder.  Bought the latest
Girling (Lucas) complete assembly for the Tiger.
Unfortunately, it turns out that Lucas is trying to reduce
the quantity of stocking numbers it carries, and has made a
single part number applicable to many models.  Mine came
with ta 'universal' push rod and rubber covers already
installed firmly, with a crimp band on the end, and a
threaded push rod with a threaded clevis and locking nut.

Unfortunately, there is no way in the world this will fit on
a Tiger pedal, it's much too long at it's shortest
position.  The old one piece unit must be re-used.

So, off comes the fancy crimped boot clamp, the rubber boot
is slid off of the push rod, before the "universal clevis"
is installed.  The circlip is removed so the push rod/piston
pusher can be removed.  The original Tiger push rod is one
piece with the clevis and piston pusher, and the old rubber
is pretty sad.  The new rubber has to be attached to the old
push rod.  The only question being "which end of the rod,
clevis or washer, is to be forced through that small hole?

I went for the circular washer end, as it was at least
smooth and symmetrical .  Needed a little hydraulic fluid.,
as a lubricant, and carefully pushed and stretched that
small hole over that big washer.  The new rubber went on
without damage, and the washer was re-inserted into the
cylinder, along with the circlip, carefully.  Put a tie wrap
around the rubber to hold it on to the housing, but I doubt
it was required.  The secondary rubber band was left off for
lack of room.

Seems to work OK.  Lots of stretch in new rubber.  I didn't
believe them when I was told the new shifter boot would go
over the shift knob and reverse gate fingers, either.  It
does.

Hope this helps.  Remember  to lubricate it, before you try
to jam it in.

Steve
--
                      < one first win, is all >