low oil pressure

To: tiger mail <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: low oil pressure
From: netscott@earthlink.net
Date: Sun, 21 Mar 1999 19:03:48 +0000
i started my 5.0 svo motor today for the first time and i have very low
oil pressure. i primed the system by using a old distributor with no
gear on it and a drill to spin it.the oil gauge moved a little, but i
thought that was because the drill was not turning fast because of the
load. also took the gauge off and and did the same, oil did come out of
the line. well i started the motor and got no higher pressure.
i ended up running it for about 5 mins. thinking that the oil had to
travel through-out the motor.the lifter never pumped up and were very
loud.
i am using a milodon pump/pick-up and 7qt pan. i took the oil line
feeding the stock oil filter set-up off and there is oil in the filter.
my buddy told me to check the pick-up to make sure it wasn't touching
the bottom of the pan.
i just hope i didn't trash the motor.
any ideas?

scott