Re: Prince of Darkness and other Ramblings

To: comorgan@juno.com
Subject: Re: Prince of Darkness and other Ramblings
From: James Barrett <jamesbrt@mindspring.com>
Date: Tue, 06 Apr 1999 20:27:22 -0400
At 10:10 PM 4/5/99 -0600, you wrote:

>     I replaced my bald 235-50-13's with 225-50-15's.
>TOYO VR directional tires).
>Used Rinkin 7" wide wheels from a Mustang.
>
>James Barrett Tiger II 351C and others
>
>James,  Are the Rinkin 7" wide wheels (Mustang) 4 lug which would fit on
>a stock Tiger hub?

        Yes.

>Would these wheels fit  in a Tiger without  wheel well modifications?

        The back spacing is such that I have around 3/4 Inch clearance to
the spring, so no problem with any other stock Tiger, The front spacing
from the end of the axle shaft to the sidewall of the 225-50-15 is 2 1/4"
The edge of the tread is about an inch less than that.  I have 3/4 to
1" of clearance from the front of the tire to the wheel well trim.
Using these dimensions you should be able to figure out if they
will fit your Tiger.
My fenderwells are streached a bit to fit 235-50 on 8" wide 13" wheels,
therefore I have a lot of clearance from the tire to the fender.
If my wheel studs were longer, I would space the wheel out 3/5 to 1"
to make the tire fill the fender well.

>Did you use 7" all around?
Not yet, as I had new 205-60-13 on the front.  Need another $230 for
another pair of 225-50-15 TOYO's.  Would have to trim the valance some more
for turns.  Already trimmed it once before.

>Thanks for the tip about modifying 1/2 " tubing to accomodate 7/16"
>studs.
        First I tapped a longer section of tubing then I used a tubing
 cutter to make clean cuts in the tubing and then sanded the edges.
Ran the tap through the 3/16" long sleeves before installing on the studs.
Wanted no binding on the threads as I installed the sleeves with my finger tips.

>Are you glad you have an overdrive Top Loader?  What differences have you
>noticed,

        I do not like the 3.29 low gear. 48 Mph at 6400 RPM!  The 1.84
second gear seems to match the 351C power very well.  I can go from stop
to over 80 without overreving.  The gap from 3rd (1:1) to the .81 overdrive
seems OK, but the downshift from 3rd to second is way too far.  I have to slow
a bunch before downshifting or else the revs go up too much and the engine
braking is excessive.  I think that a 1.32 third gear would be much nicer
and maybe not quite so tall low gear.
        According to the 1/4 mile generic drag race equations the
low gear is NOT low enough.  Well I do a lot more commuting than drag racing.

        I changed from the original 2.78 Tigeer transmission because I
had problems downshifting at speed. Took much more effort than I felt was
necessary.  Well, the SROD did not help the downshift problem, so maby
the Tiger Transmission was OK to start with.  I could find no damage
or wear on the Tiger Transmission.

>as compared with a closed ratio?  Is you setup better than a T-5?  Sorry
>about all the questions.

        Have never tried a T5.  In general if your motor
has low torque or a narrow power band you need closer gear ratios to maintain
the powerband.  If you have a lot of power and torque over a broad range
then the ratios can be wider.  It all depends on what you want to do with
your Tiger.  In traffic, I believe a "medium" spacing is better for my
351C.  The original wide ratio 2.78 Tiger Transmission was OK, but I
occasionally
found myself looking for an overdrive gear.( which did not exist).

James Barrett Tiger II 351C and others