Re: Prince of Darkness and other Ramblings

To: comorgan@juno.com, tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Prince of Darkness and other Ramblings
From: MWood24020@aol.com
Date: Wed, 7 Apr 1999 02:18:33 EDT
In a message dated 4/6/99 7:36:50 PM Pacific Daylight Time, comorgan@juno.com
writes:

<< Thanks for the resposnse.  This information regarding wheels, etc. is not
 commonly available (ie, in CAT information).  I was suprised to see that
 stock wheels are not, or probable not, accepted at competitive events.
 An addition to this wheel question is, can or how can hubs be modified to
 fit 5 lug wheels.  This would give a wider selection of rims and tires.
 From what I've seen on the list, people are moving away from 13 inch
 tires? >>
<<Thanks for the respose Mark.  But , what's so great about Panasports?
They seem to be linited to style, etc.  I like the looks of the Halibrand
(spelling) with the spinner.  Anybody have any experience with these
classic wheels?>>

Cliff-
I'll give my best on your questions, in order:
1. Stock, steel wheels are not to be used in severe duty for a number of
reasons. The most common problem I've heard of is lug nuts pulling through
the bolt holes!
2. I suppose it would be possible to adapt to a 5 bolt pattern. I've never
seen it done. An easier swap would be to pin-drive, or knock off, hubs.
3. The primary reason folks are moving away from 13" rims is due to lack of
tire selection. Not too many cars are coming through with OEM 13" rims these
days.
4. Panasports are popular for a number of reasons: a. They look "period
correct" being very similar to Minilites, which were quite popular in the
'60s. BTW, "minilites" are still available, just not as easy to source as the
Panasports. b. Panasports are a quality wheel; strong, fairly light, true and
balance well. c. Panasports are available in 14-15" diameters, solving tire
selection problems.
d. They aren't outrageously expensive.
5. I have looked into Halibrands. It would be possible to run a 14X7"
"Sprint" pattern, utilizing their pin-drive adapters. Be prepared to spend
big $$ to make the swap. Someone (Darrel Mountjoy?) has had a firm (PS
Engineering?) produce rims that are somewhat "Halibrand"-like for a Tiger
application. If memory serves, they have 4 "kidney beans" instead of 5 and
have quite a bit more backspacing/less offset than the classic Halibrand look.

Mike