National club

To: "Tiger List (E-mail)" <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: National club
From: "Patrick Lauber" <lauber@tusco.net>
Date: Mon, 7 Jun 1999 10:16:45 -0400
If you can read this, thank you Doug Leithauser. I haven't
been able to get messages through to the list in quite some
time, although I could receive messages. Here are a couple
of pent-up (e.g. out-of-date) comments:

Where did the discussion of a national club go? Has anything
been brought up to the boards of current Sunbeam clubs? Some
other marques have a national club structure, with regional
clubs for more local events. I belong to the Viper club and
this structure works very well. We combine efforts for
national events and a magazine, but also have local events
sponsored by each region.

Each Sunbeam club (at least the two I belong to - CAT &
TE/AE) seems to have its own specialty. Imagine a national
club that lets CAT focus on parts, TE/AE on newsletter, STOA
(?) on certification/history, etc. There would be less
duplication of effort and resources (both $ and people)
would go further. Wouldn't you rather have a polished
newsletter packed with info from all the clubs, rather than
3-4 smaller regional newsletters that have a tough time
gathering enough info to publish? Wouldn't Sunbeam parts
vendors be more interested in subsidizing (advertising in) a
newsletter with greater circulation?

Don't get me wrong, I think the clubs do a good job and the
officers are to be commended. But, given the limited number
of Sunbeamers out there, it just seems to make sense to get
them all together for some things. As far as communication
and running the national club, maybe each "founding" club
could nominate a representative to be on the innaugural
board of the new club. Technology - internet, web
conferencing, teleconferencing, etc. - would enable adequate
communication on a monthly or quarterly basis, and the
regions could continue to set their own local gatherings.

Any thoughts - or is this a dead issue?