Re: New Carb's

To: Bob Palmer <rpalmer@ames.ucsd.edu>
Subject: Re: New Carb's
From: Bill Martin <bmartin@snf.Stanford.EDU>
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 1999 11:33:24 -0700 (PDT)

 Bob, Tim, and listers,

 Here we go, I will list my particulars first then go on to the carb
questions. This will be kinda long.

 Engine, 5 bolt 289 thirty over, crane copy of the hipo 289 cam (hydrolic)
 Heads, 289 with 351W valves, port matched, cleaned up pockets etc.
 Compression, 10:1
 Headers, 2" exhaust, no crossover, 3 chamber flowmasters.
 Intake, Tiger lowrise.
 1/2" composite Phenolic plate with pcv takeoff going to rear holes.
 this is all the details I can recall without the build sheet in hand.

  Carb, out of the box it had #70 jets all around, and 6.5 powervalves.
 30cc accelerator pumps. The Idle air bleeds and Highspeed air bleeds
 look like baby jets and are screwed into the venturi area of the carb.
 On most Holleys the air bleeds are machined into the carb body and are
 only tuneable if you drill them out, with the new design they become
 tuneable by changing the size of the bleed itself. Larger means more
 air/less fuel, smaller/morefuel/less air. All four throttle plates are
 stainless and have 1/8 holes on the leading edge. With four corner idle
 there is better fuel dispertion to the entire engine but it's harder to
 get it dialed in. I have dropped the jet size to #66 and changed the
 powervalves to 4.5. I am still to rich at Idle so I ordered the air bleed
 kit so that I can lean out the idle air pre circuit. I tried driving it
 around some and it had pretty good responce off idle, stuffed me into
 the seat pretty good :). The air bleeds are part of the circuit that
 pre emulsify's the fuel before going through the venturi. I think this
 is still to rich. I am only out one turn on the bleed screws, any more
 and it gets real stinky. I only have 11" of vacuum at idle (1000rpm) and
 can't get it to idle any lower. The carb also has a rear throttle plate
 adjustmet screw that is upside down so I had to make a special
 screwdriver to adjust it. The only vacuum port on the carb is where the
 aircleaner stud is so I had to drill out and tap the stud so that I could
 measure vacuum and then button it back up. What a pain, am I having any
 fun yet? So the bottom line is if you want one of these get ready to
 pony up about $700.00 bucks and order the airbleed kit and a jet kit and
 a powervalve kit. I had to run one of those chrome dualfeed fuel lines
 but it is mostly hidden, the fuel runs on the passenger side so the fuel
 line looks better. I have to get back to work now so send the next batch
 of questions to me and I will get to them. Have a great weekend :)
Bill