RE: Too Hot Camero

To: "'Bob Palmer'" <rpalmer@ames.ucsd.edu>, richards <richards@northcoast.com>,
Subject: RE: Too Hot Camero
From: "Ronak, TP (Timothy)" <Timothy.P.Ronak@akzo-nobel.com>
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 1999 13:57:22 -0500
Hey Listers,
The only suggestion I have to help with the cooling issue is to have
everyone think of airflow as having similar properties as a length of rope.
Ever try to "Push" a rope?
The idea is to "Pull" the air through the rad by generating a negative
pressure behind the rad at speed. Anyone of the Tiger guys who have had
there hood blow open on the highway and have it sit about 6" in the air will
understand the futility of trying to stuff more air in without trying to
extract it first. Mounting a scraper under the rad and sealing the entire
area by limiting air entering the engine bay unless it comes through the rad
coupled with a scraper creating negative pressure behind the rad should
create an environment where at speed the Fan becomes non essential (Our
Camero Race car did not even have a fan). Obviously in traffic or at idle
their needs to be some airflow so you would need a fan. Once I get relocated
I plan on building a bolt-on plastic scraper which I have roughly sketched
(If you want the MS paintbrush file email me) out of stiff plastic that will
extend about 2" below the crossmember and seal to the bottom of the rad and
entirely around the crossmember with cut-outs for the sway bar. it will
extend to the ends of the front frame rails and just applies 1990's Domestic
auto engineering to solve the airflow "pulling" problem. The first
application of this approach was on the 1982 camero when the blocked off all
of the front of the car and "pulled" all of the cooling air from under the
car by installing the scraper.
This works of course unless you install and electric fan and hook the wires
up backwards.
Best regards,
Tim Ronak
Canada (where COOLING is not an issue in October)