RE: Too Hot Camero

To: "'Bob Palmer'" <rpalmer@ames.ucsd.edu>,
Subject: RE: Too Hot Camero
From: Theo Smit <tsmit@isotel.com>
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 1999 13:18:55 -0600
This subject came up for discussion last night as Tim Ronak and I Tigered
down to visit a local Alger builder. He's doing one heckuva job on piecing
this thing together from scratch and solving tons of fitting problems (it's
based around a 337 CID engine, top loader, and Ford nine-inch rear end),
and has got to the stage of designing a rad. We briefly debated aluminum
vs. copper/brass in view of CB's higher heat conductivity (does that matter
since it's .010 material?), vs. the lower weight of the aluminum. The thing
Tim and I impressed on the guy, though, is that the rad only works if the
air behind it can get out, and that's where I think the Cobra guys are
falling down (as well as us). There ought to be an improvement in cooling
if you can inhibit the flow of air under the car by using an air dam or
'bib' below and in front of the radiator, just because you'll move more air
through the rad. All the fans in the world won't help you above 35 mph.

On a side note, has anyone that's using the Doane Spencer style engine
compartment exit vents behind the front wheel wells measured the amount of
air moving through them?

Theo Smit
tsmit@home.com
B382002705

PS. Let's table any discussion on the morality of Algers for the moment.
The car in question has a B395xxxxxx ID with original rivets.