Fwd: Bending door hinges

To: tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Fwd: Bending door hinges
From: FrizBMG@aol.com
Date: Thu, 6 Jan 2000 06:51:13 EST
--part1_93.932f99b5.25a5dbb1_boundary

From: FrizBMG@aol.com
Full-name: FrizB MG
Date: Thu, 6 Jan 2000 06:50:15 EST
Subject: Re: Bending door hinges
To: Jay_Laifman@countrywide.com

In a message dated 1/5/00 9:39:17 PM, Jay_Laifman@countrywide.com writes:

<< On the sagging body, that's why I pointed out that the gaps are perfectly
parallel.  I would assume that if the door opening was sagging, it would be
narrower at the top than the bottom.  But, it isn't so on this car.  The
car was stripped to bare metal before this painting.  There was no sign of
any previous body work or rust (of any significance).

I kind of like the idea of the wedge in between the hinges to push the
sheet metal - seems the sheet metal is probably much easier to move 1/8"
than the hinges (an idea my dad proposed previously).

As to the other comment that how would the hinges move the door - the
hinges are not flat, nor do they close all the way up when closed.  They
are sort of in the shape of a "U" with the hinge joint at the bottom center
- so if you compress the two parallel sides together, it pulls the door
forward.

Jay

</XMP>

Uh ,excuse me here but I did not catch a crucial detail through out this
exchange. How is the car supported?is it up in the air on jackstands or are
its tires on the ground supporting it? If it is up in the air on jackstands
the unnatural support of the car with the jackstands will twist the frame
enough for the doors not to line up properly in thier respective places.
I made the same mistake!!!
 The doors lined up pretty good with the car on the ground,but EVERYTHING
was screwy when I tried to do the same thing with the car in the air.
DONT FORGET ABOUT GRAVITY!!!
 end of rant
Tony

--part1_93.932f99b5.25a5dbb1_boundary--