Re: Proper Holley 4bbl

To: "Joe Hankins" <jhankins@ix.netcom.com>
Subject: Re: Proper Holley 4bbl
From: "Daniel S. Eiland" <deiland1@elp.rr.com>
Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2000 11:42:39 -0700
Joe,

    Rick at Sunbeam Specialties has the 465 cfm Holley,
or at least can get them. (BTW, I checked around and SS
had the best price as well.)  The original LAT option came
with either the 715 cfm or the 465 cfm Holley according
to the TBON. I am running the 465 on an Eddlbrock F4B
manifold and couldn't be happier. I must say I owe a lot of
thanks to the list for helping me through my installation, and
one person in particular, Steve Laifman. Without his help I'm
not sure I would have gotten through my installation.

    The 465 does not have a provision for the PCV valve.
Here is what I did to solve this problem, although I will admit
it was a little more costly, along with some other modifications
Steve recommended.  I bought the 1848-1 465 cfm  Holley
from Sunbeam Specialties along with the long throttle cable.
Went to our local Holley dealer and ordered a 112-20 throttle
body, new front bowl without the top vent, size #55 jets and a
package of secondary springs. The 112-20 is a throttle body
from a 600 cfm that will swap out nicely with very little trouble.
You will need to remove the (choke) fast idle actuator linkage
from the 112-20 and replace it with the linkage from your new
465. Once you do this your fast idle will be at the same setting
as the factory setting on the 465. Remove the front bowl and
replace the jets with the #55 jets. On reassembly, you will need
to remove the float from inside the front bowl of the 465 and
install it in the new bowl. Now you are ready to install the new
bowl. When done you will have eliminated the vent on top of the
front bowl which is not used anyway with the new throttle plate.
This will leave you that factory built look. Replacing the front bowl
is not necessary, but I did not want the unused vent left there.
If I am spending this much money to redo all this I wanted it to
look like it came from the factory. Next, remove the vacuum
secondary diaphragm (don't loose the ball check) and replace the
spring with the one from the package that has no color (plain).
These springs are color coded, the spring without a color is the
one you want. Reassemble and you are ready to go. On my
installation I had to slightly adjust the rod to the secondary to push
them closed completely. You may or may not have to do this.

    The car runs smooth at all speeds and there is no soggy feel
or fuel smell at any RPM. Strong, smooth acceleration. My engine
came with the LAT cam kit and dual point distributor. I must admit,
the car is much more powerful than I would ever need. Although,
when someone pulls up next to you at a stop, just knowing what
you have under your hood is enough to keep you from doing
something foolish......  OH, H&^%, GO FOR IT!!

    Again, I want to thank Steve Laifman, and all the others, for
the help I received during my installation. If you want information
on what I had to do to my F4B let me know. Also have photos if
needed.

Dan Eiland
B382002652
Just Painted!