RE: voltage stabilizer

To: "'tigers@autox.team.net'" <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: voltage stabilizer
From: Theo Smit <TSMIT@isotel.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2000 17:01:08 -0700
I interpreted "both prongs" to mean that Terry was seeing the same output
for both the fuel and water temp output, but your interpretation might be
closer to what he meant. The PO of my car had screwed the regulator to the
back side of the dash, and the 'normal' operating temperature was about 245
degrees on the gauge...

By the way, the LM317 regulator I'm using has a 'drop-out voltage' of about
1.5 to 2.5 volts. This is the minimum 'headroom' required for the regulator
to regulate properly, and it means that with the engine off, you are not
guaranteed to get proper temp and fuel level readings. One of the many items
on my list of things to do is to rework this circuit with a low-dropout
regulator (National makes one specifically designed for automotive
applications) that will work better and have more protection from typical
automotive electrical transients (such as caused by turning wiper motors on
and off, etc).

If you have or can get a properly working mechanical regulator, it's pretty
hard to beat, considering the accuracy of the gauge it's driving.

Regards,
Theo

        <snip>