Re: voltage stabilizer

To: Steve Laifman <Laifman@Flash.Net>
Subject: Re: voltage stabilizer
From: Stu Brennan <sbrennan@master.ncounty.net>
Date: Sat, 18 Mar 2000 11:08:34 -0500
Steve Laifman wrote:

> Steve,

ORIGINAL MESSAGE:

> You are 100% correct, and we all know that.  I thought the question was why 2
> output terminals at 10 volt, ..........Snip.......
>
> Bottom line, if there is something an electronic engineer can do to eliminate
> electro-mechanical devices, he does it.  {9->
>
> --
> Steve Laifman

REPLY:

Which explains why we have multi hundred dollar electronic assistants to
replace a couple 3x5 cards in your shirt pocket.  3x5 cards don't have
software lockups, don't have interface problems with any host computers,
and don't forget everything if the battery goes dead.  Think of all the
fun we've been missing.  Isn't technology wonderful?

Sure, electronic regulators are wonderful.  A friend of mine is even
involved with the design of some that would work real well for this.
But it's overkill for this application.  The sensors are crude, the
gauges are crude, and as far as that last gallon goes, well, note how
much the gauge varies when you corner or get on a slope.  All you can
infer is that when the gauge stops moving when you corner, THEN you
better find a Texaco real soon.  So why go to all the trouble of
redesigning, unless you really have nothing better to do?  The one you
are replacing lasted HOW long?  Since the mid '60's you say?  And how
long do you think the replacement will last?

Stu  (an EE)