RE: "Stroker" Motor

To: "'Bob Palmer'" <rpalmer@ames.ucsd.edu>,
Subject: RE: "Stroker" Motor
From: "Ronak, TP (Timothy)" <Timothy.P.Ronak@akzo-nobel.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2000 13:45:29 -0600
Great!!!! Post Bob,
No one said I could spell "stroker" ...I won't even blame my Canadian spell
checker.
Guess we are back to hot rodding!!
Your point about the side and bearing loads is well Taken. The only evidence
I can use is indeed anecdotal as the Camero we used to race went through
many iterations in it's history. One of them was the switch from the Chevy
Pink rods to the 6"carrillos as we ate a set up due to oil pressure loss
under cornering at the track. If my memory serves me correctly, on the dyno
the Original engine made peak torque of 448 ft lbs. at around 6100 RPM with
the 5.7 rods and a Crane TR-242 Roller Tappet cam with a 106 degree lobe
centerline. Under the suggestion of our engine builder to improve
acceleration, out of the corners we tried the 6" Rods expecting more RPM
durability and maybe the side benefit of more torque. In fact the 6" engine
made 485 ft lbs. at around 6200 RPM with the same Heads, Cam, Valve train
Gear, carb. and intake (We Bought new Pistons that were slightly lighter).
In fact the engine actually allowed us to go 1 jet size fatter before power
started dropping off. If anything the rods were heavier than the stock pink
rods and as such should have dropped power (but the pistons were lighter and
I believe they were the same compression). This engine version was far from
the final iteration that we built for the car. Now of course this is just
our experience and it could be that the rings seated better or the file fit
rings were done better but I find it hard to believe that the impact of such
minor things resulted in an increase of +40 ft lbs. I have always kind of
done things my own way so I do not expect others to agree I just try to
understand the dynamics.
As for the smaller tube header making better Torque than the big tube at low
RPM it makes perfect sense as the smaller tube would be more effective at
handling the volume of gasses and scavenging the cylinder of exhaust gasses
at low RPM (below 6000). In fact the smaller tube with higher gas velocity
may get the sucking of intake gasses started during the valve overlap
period. This would allow more burnt gas to exit leaving more room for the
new charge of un-burnt gas. At lower RPM flow velocity is more important to
the dynamics of engine performance in producing torque than flow volume due
to the gas mixing and scavenging advantages. At Higher RPM it seems that
there is a gas velocity threshold that is exceeded and to maintain effective
dynamics you need to increase the volume that the exhaust and/or intake can
handle.
As for theoretical analysis I agree the area under the curve would appear to
be the same, as the curve shape is similar. Our torque curve appeared higher
on the chart at most RPM so in our case while the profile of the curve
seemed similar we actually realized greater area under the curve for our
usable RPM Range at the time (We ran 5500 RPM to 7400 RPM).

Our experience with a 1 jet size increase for max power and the increase in
peak Torque is far from the definitive example as we probably did not follow
ALL of the rules of the scientific method. We may have changed plugs and
plug wires as well as other things like different oil. The experimenting we
did way back still seems to me to be valid but all I can say is that it sold
me and it will be a consideration for which engine I build.

I LOVE this list ..... where else can you feel like you are playing hooky
from work without leaving the office.

Thanks for the response Bob!
Regards,
Tim