RE: "Stroker" Motor

To: Theo Smit <TSMIT@isotel.com>,
Subject: RE: "Stroker" Motor
From: Bob Palmer <rpalmer@ames.ucsd.edu>
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2000 15:43:16 -0800
Theo,

Sounds like a simple, straightforward dyno system that should give at least
very repeatable, if not accurate, results. The accuracy would depend
primarily on knowing the exact moment of inertia of the flywheel, which you
should be able to calculate to within a few percent. I guess they could use
the electric motor to load the system and measure the electric power output
that balances the engine's input, but that would involve more calibration
factors. Should be pretty repeatable though. I'll bet the size and weight
of flywheel needed to handle 1000 HP is pretty huge. Let's see now, if we
make it out of boron fiber composite and use depleted uranium for the
weight, we could reduce it's size and mass a lot. And I guess they will be
needing a new use for depleted uranium, now that the military has decided
that it and lead are an environmental hazard. Is there a category for
inertial powered land speed record cars? I know they have one for battery
powered cars. Maybe we could work on the fastest inertial powered Sunbeam.
What would it take to break 200 mph?

Bob