Re: "Stroker" Motor

To: Bob Palmer <rpalmer@ames.ucsd.edu>
Subject: Re: "Stroker" Motor
From: Craig Wright <craig@p-d-g.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2000 16:13:46 -0800
Bob,

If you remember, that is the style of dyno used to test your car last November
at the Dyno Shop. I believe that one is rated at 1000 hp. I think that the
flywheel is not very large in diameter, but is long. This would keep the
stresses down and make it less likely to explode. An easy way to measure the
moment of inertia (polar, I think) is to apply a constant torque and measure
acceleration. Gravity can supply the torque by hanging a weight from a wire
wrapped around the flywheel. Keep the weight small and speeds low to reduce
aerodynamic effects and you should be able to get within 1%.

Craig