Re: highway - Head Pull

To: Chris Vaught <CVaught@Hawaii.rr.com>
Subject: Re: highway - Head Pull
From: Steve Laifman <Laifman@flash.net>
Date: Tue, 09 May 2000 08:28:14 -0700
Chris Vaught wrote:

> well on the highway she run about 200 or so. i was happy. when i shifted to
> 3rd and let her rip she got up 210, still no to bad. but then i got in to
> traffic for about 20 minutes. she then got to 230 or so. i am so scared to
> blow a head gasket in that car that i nearly shut her down. BTW do you have
> to pull the engine to change the head?
> chris in hawaii

Chris,

Those temperatures are OK (if accurate), although I’d still sweat the black
gunk.

On pulling the heads. Yes, you do have to remove the engine. LAT Rootes
instructions on how to add the hot cam option tell you how to do it, with the
engine in the car. As part of their instructions they tell you to remove the
rocker arms and push rods, except the last two, which should be TIED to the
rocker post so you can remove the lifters. The reason is that the firewall is
in the way of extracting the push rods. So even if you could remove all the
manifolds and bolts, you can’t lift the heads up and slide them forward and
up, because those push rods are still there.

Of course, you could cut them and remove the pieces, but I don’t think they
make the replacement rod that screws together like a pro pool cue.

It’s a nasty trick, but Jim Barrett can do it with the 351C! All you have to
do is move the firewall back a few inches.

Steve

--
Steve Laifman         < Find out what is most     >
B9472289              < important in your life    >

                            _/
                     _/_/_/