PCV and F4B

To: johnjb_44@hotmail.com
Subject: PCV and F4B
From: Steve Laifman <Laifman@flash.net>
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2001 16:16:00 -0800
John,

I'm on the condensed Digest for a bit, as my ISP had cut my connection.
I have installed a Holley on an F4B and here is what you MUST do, in
order not to damage your engine, or servo.

The servo should be connected to the right side pipe thread port on the
F4B with appropriate brass hose connector.

The carb base should have a tube for the PCV hose at the base.  My
original  465 CFM Holley, from the LAT option, was a circa 1960's carb
and did not have a connection at the base, as all the newer Holley's
do,  I tried a very thin plate (1/4 inch) from a boss 302, but it made
the carb too high for the stock hood.

I purchased a new 600 CFM universal base and replaced the original 465
CFM.  This cost me $35 a couple of years ago, but I hear they are a lot
more now.  A good used one wouldn't be bad.  Some care in aligning the
right side choke idle adjust screw to match the stepped cam before
installation, as you can't reach the screwdriver slot once installed.
Don't worry about the throttle plate diameter difference (small) as the
point of rotation allows very little of the circle into the choke bore
and won't touch the wall,  If you have a 600 CFM carb, it must be a
pretty old one not to have a PCV connection, and a new one is about
$200.

You cannot run a closed system, with a PCV valve and a closed breather
oil filler cap without possible engine damage.

You could replace the oil cap with an open type, and remove the PCV, but
that just allows junk fumes in your crankcase, and the air.  The PCV
doesn't rob you of any power, as it is off under load, and helps the
environment and your engine life.

Steve

--
Steve Laifman         < Find out what is most    >
B9472289              < important in your life     >

http://www.TigersUnited.com/gallery/SteveLaifman.asp

                            _/
                     _/_/_/