Re: Goodbye

To: Dick Barker <dickbarker@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: Goodbye
From: "Steven L. Finberg" <w1gsl@MIT.EDU>
Date: Tue, 03 Apr 2001 14:47:31 -0400
Hi Dick

I can't believe you are thinking of leaving the Tigers/ Alpine
mailing lists.  My comment was not directed to hurt you in any way,
sorry if it seemed that way.  I just wanted to let you know how unfriendly
the site you sent us to is.  My displesure was directed at whoever
runs that site thinking they need that much info / control to
freely share sunbeanm info.

You really should have told us enough to use the  site.
For some one only using your link it was impossible to get to the pix.
The first thing the site asked for was an account and password, At least I
never heard of this org. before.  Then when you try to register it asked
for a referal number... Who knows what that should be. And the form asks
for a lot of registration info...  All just to look.  I might be able
to understand it if it was needed to get posting privleges...
If you have been a "registerd user" for a while and let your computer
remember your password maybe they have changed and it wasn't as intrusive
when you registered.

Suffice it to say here it is strictly forbidden to let the computer
store any passwords, much to much of a security risk.  One is not even
allowed to write them down, so getting unnecessary new ones is
really undesirable.

Most of the web works well with out cookies, seems they are a convience
to track things like advertising  to the advantage of the advertiser only.
It seems though some will object 99% of the sites can handle deal with out
cookies.   The one fininacial site I have relented on thinks it wants
cookies but actually dosen't seem to mind that I take them and delete
as soon as I logout..  Just a bit of a pain to do it.

                        Steve F

Steve Finberg                        W1GSL                       w1gsl@mit.edu
PO Box 397082 MIT Br        Cambridge MA  02139-7082              617 258 3754