RE: Goodbye

To: <cvaught@hawaii.rr.com>, <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Goodbye
From: "Allan Connell, Jr." <alcon@home.com>
Date: Tue, 3 Apr 2001 12:05:20 -0700
I dunno Chris.  I don't think that I agree with you.  This is something that
seems to surface at least every six to eight weeks here recently.....just
like "cooling a Tiger" seemed to pop-up as frequently a couple of years ago.

In my humble opinion, this is a Community.  As such, I (personally) feel
that it is incumbent on US as a community to treat each other with dignity
and respect.  And, when we don't get that treatment, to withdraw from the
community is perfectly appropriate and protective of one's self.

For my money, people are WAY too quick to send a cryptic reply, or flame
mail when they are aggravated.  Email is kind of like getting behind the
wheel of a car: people seem to believe, as we used to say in the Corps that
they are "Ten Feet Tall and Bullet Proof," and accordingly fire off without
thinking about the repercussions.

I just personally had this happen at work, and unfortunately I did not
handle it appropriately.  Some twenty-five year old product manager in
Marketing fired off a nasty email to me, questioning what I was doing
mucking about in thus and such (it really does not matter what, mind you.)
Unfortunately, I was tired when I read it (no excuse,) and I fired back
another volley, even more caustic than her original.  Her reply to MY flame
was CC'd to pretty much all of the senior management in our company.  I have
not done that before and will not do it again.  Though this person is
considered somewhat of a "problem," I still looked bad for feeding into it.

It's a bunch of crap.  I continue to have to air my feelings on this subject
each and every time it happens....my personal problem I guess.

Bottom line is that this is a Community, albeit a "virtual" one.
Accordingly, we should treat each other with respect and dignity, and employ
the "Ready, Aim, SHOOT" philosophy, rather than the "SHOOT, Ready, Aim,"
behavior.

OK, now I am going to chop-up my soapbox for firewood.....we certainly need
it here in San Diego with the weather and the bills from our friends at
SDG&E, known locally here as "San Diego Gouge and Extortion."  :)
(DISCLAIMER: My apologies in advance to any employees of SDG&E or any other
utility that may be on the list. These comments are those solely of the
author and do not represent the thoughts or views of the providers of the
medium.  Note that the author likes his beef rare.)

Allan
B9472373

Hey folks, can we start-up the TAC controversy again???  PLLLEEEAAASSSE!